Please review these guidelines before beginning the application process.
Dance Metro DC is not accepting applications to this program at this time.
Dance Metro DC will award six Rehearsal Space Subsidy Grants (in three separate rounds) in the amount of $500 each towards the costs of rehearsal space rental. Subsidy payments will be made directly to the rehearsal studios identified by the selected applicants. An independent panel will select four of the Subsidy recipients (two selected from round 2 applicants, and two more selected from round 3), plus two Subsidy recipients to be selected by random lottery from the remaining pool of eligible applicants (round4).
The Rehearsal Space Subsidy Grant program is created for choreographers, production companies, and independent dance makers. Awards will be made for the exclusive purpose of rehearsal space rental for dance.
There are three rounds for this program during the 2016-2017 program year. Eligible applicants who are NOT selected for Rounds 2 or 3 will be automatically included in the applicant pool for Round 4 (Lottery Round).
- To increase the accessibility of rehearsal space to professional dance artists in the DC area
- To provide direct support for rehearsal space in order to offset artist costs
- To strengthen the network of dance rehearsal venues in order to provide affordable rehearsal space to dance artists in the DC area
Dance Metro DC will provide six, Rehearsal Space Subsidy Grants ($500 each) in three separate rounds to dance makers based within the Dance Metro DC service area (see below).
The Rehearsal Space Subsidy Grant Award includes:
- $500 rehearsal subsidy (payable to the studio/venue identified by the selected applicants)
- Applicants are encouraged to select venues from the Dance Studio list found here.
- Access to Professional Development training workshops
- Assistance and advice from program mentors (as requested)
- Applicants must be current members of Dance Metro DC in good standing. If you are not a current member, please visit the Membership page for information on how to become a member.
- Applicants may NOT be enrolled in a degree-granting program at the high school, undergraduate or graduate level at the time of the application deadline.
Service Area Restrictions
The Dance Metro DC service area includes Washington, DC; Montgomery and Prince George’s Counties in Maryland; Fairfax County, Arlington County and the city of Alexandria in Virginia.
- Applicants must reside within, or present more than 50% of their annual dance work within the Dance Metro DC service area.
- All applications must be submitted online.
- Applicants may submit only ONE application to this program.
- Applicants are NOT required to be 501(c)(3) tax-exempt entities.
- Recipients of Dance Metro DC’s 2016 Presentation Grant are NOT eligible
- Previous Rehearsal Space Subsidy program recipients are eligible to apply, however, panelists may give preference to applicants who have not previously received subsidy support.
- Recipients of Dance Metro DC 2016 Presentation Grants and Choreographers’ Commission Grants are not eligible to receive a 2016 rehearsal space subsidy.
- Ineligible or incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
- Late applications will not be accepted. No exceptions will be made.
Rehearsal Space Subsidy recipients will be selected by a panel of dance specialists from the DC area. Selection will be based on artistic merit, professional capacity and the appropriateness of the applicant to rehearse at the identified venues. Recipients for Round 3 will be announced in September 2016.
Panelist for Round 3:
Deadlines and Timeline
Application Deadline (Round 2) – Friday, May 13, 2016 @ 5:00pm
Rehearsal Space Subsidy (Round 2) recipients will be announced by June 29, 2016
Recipient Final Report (Round 2) will be due no later than October 31, 2016
Application Deadline (Round 3) – Friday, August 5, 2016 @ 5:00pm
Rehearsal Space Subsidy (Round 3) recipients will be announced by September 30, 2016
Recipient Final Report (Round 3) will be due no later than December 31, 2016
Application Deadline (Round 4) – Friday, October 7, 2016 @ 5:00pm (LOTTERY ROUND)
Rehearsal Space Subsidy (Round 4) recipients will be announced by November 30, 2016
Recipient Final Report (Round 4) will be due no later than March 31, 2017
April 2017 – Full program post-mortem meeting for all Rehearsal Space Subsidy recipients
Previous Program Recipients
Round 1 (2015) Recipients:
Ilana Faye Silverstein for Tia Nina rehearsals at Dance Loft on 14
Katherine Horrigan for Company Danzante rehearsals at Adagio Ballet
Olivia Sabee for rehearsals at Dance Exchange
Shawn Short for Dissonance Dance Theater rehearsals at Flashpoint / Cultural DC
Round 2 (June 2016) Recipients:
Keira Hart-Mendoza for UpRooted Dance rehearsals at Dance Exchange
Maverick Lemons for rehearsals at Dance Loft on 14
Round 3 (September 2016) Recipients:
Kimmie Dobbs Chan for DEVIATED THEATRE rehearsals at Joe’s Movement Emporium
Amber Yancey for Capital Movement rehearsals at Capitol Hill Arts Workshop
Round 4 – Lottery Round (October 2016) Recipients:
Catherine Roth for Agora Dance rehearsals at Maryland School of Dance
Chanel Smith for rehearsals at Dance Exchange