Full time JD
About Kalanidhi Dance
Kalanidhi Dance is a Maryland-based nonprofit committed to the preservation, promotion and education of Kuchipudi, a classical South Indian dance style. Kalanidhi dance captivates audiences through exquisitely conceptualized performances that push Kuchipudi in new and exciting directions. Discover the beauty of Indian dance at www.kalanidhi.org.
Schedule: Full time, includes evenings and weekends
Reports to: Board of Directors
Position Summary: The General Manager is responsible for the overall business management and administration of Kalanidhi Dance Academy and Company. The General Manager reports to the Board of Directors.
Kalanidhi Dance, a Kuchipudi dance school and performance company, has opened a leadership search upon the pending retirement of the Founder/current Artistic Director. The current leadership structure has had a single Artistic Director. The Search Committee has determined that it may consider these as separate functions and is focusing their initial search on finding a dynamic and experienced professional for the position of General Manager. The successful candidate will be the public face of Kalanidhi and work with the highly talented artistic staff to lead all administrative, financial, development/fundraising and marketing functions for the organization. Kalanidhi has a unique operating structure which works closely with a number of venue and presenting partners. In addition to strong nonprofit management and organizational leadership experience, the successful candidate will need to have a demonstrated capability and temperament to work collaboratively and with many different partners.
Leadership, Strategy and Operations
- Chief liaison and advocate for Kalanidhi’s work throughout the local community by actively pursuing opportunities for partnerships and collaborations with arts, educational, cultural, social, and other key constituent groups.
- Provide leadership and support for initiatives that advance Kalanidhi’s strategic plan.
- Manage the budgeting process and financial management.
- Work collaboratively with the Artistic Director/Education Director to create and present each season of dance performances and programs.
- Maintain all financial files. Complete accounts payable and receivable functions and oversee financial reports generated by an outside Financial Manager. Coordinate annual Audit.
- Manage marketing and communications outreach to maximize communications about performances and other Kalanidhi activities.
Board Relations and Governance
- Communicate effectively with the Board of Directors, provide timely and accurate information, and support all Board activities. Work with the Board Chair to set Board meeting schedule (4 meetings per year), agenda and reports. Prepare and present written and oral reports for the Board as necessary. Create or collect all Board materials for dissemination to the Board prior to each meeting.
- Partner with the Board Trustee Committee to identify, cultivate and recruit new Board members and play an active role in the orientation and education of new and existing members.
- Engage Board members to maximize their participation in their contribution to Kalanidhi’s success and growth.
- Ensure Kalanidhi’s fiscal integrity, including submission to the Board of a proposed annual budget, monthly financial statements and annual audit and 990 which accurately reflect the organization’s financial condition.
- Embrace other Board relations and governance responsibilities as needed. Resource Cultivation and Revenue Generation
- Lead development efforts for all contributed and earned revenues.
- Work with the Artistic staff as required to produce all grant applications and reports. ● Expand revenue generating and fundraising activities to support existing operations as well as other financial campaigns already seeded.
- Lead the individual giving and annual fund campaigns.
- Manage donor relations.
- Work with independent consultants as needed to develop fundraising strategies and outreach efforts
- Work with the Artistic Director/Education Director to review and approve the pro forma artistic budget for each season in consideration of the overall organizational budget. ● Complete letters of agreement and contracts for each season’s artists and venues. ● Work with the Artistic Manager and Admin Assistant to manage all aspects of producing and presenting all performances and programs.
Outreach & Marketing
- Oversee the company’s Community Outreach programs, working to build our relevance to the community and to increase and diversify the company’s audience and stakeholders.
- Social media management and content development– newsletters, facebook, twitter, Instagram, youtube, website updates
- Develop marketing and audience development strategies to support both earned and contributed revenue and to enhance the reputation of the company.
- A degree in Arts management or professional equivalency required
- Demonstrated experience of at least 10 years in strategic planning, fund development and grant writing, marketing, and basic financial management.
- Understanding of digital media tools; sufficient familiarity with Microsoft Office or similar to produce reports, spreadsheets and briefings
- Proficiency in managing social media channels
- Must be willing and able to adapt to change in a dynamic work environment with moderate noise level. Individual should be creative, outgoing, self-motivated, organized and able to pay attention to detail. Strong time-management and communication skills required.
- Preference will be given to candidates with an advanced degree in arts administration, business administration or relevant advanced degree.
Salary and employment package commensurate with experience and organization’s budget. Based in the Washington DC metro area, this is a full-time position.
Please send cover letter, resume, and reference to Anuradha@kalanidhi.org.