Website Dance Place
Dance Place is hiring! We seek a dynamic, motivated, and talented individual to join our team as the Communications Manager for our nationally recognized, cultural arts center in Washington, DC. This full- time, exempt position will support our mission, values, and history in a hybrid work setting. The salary range for this position is $50,000 – $55,000 annually, with benefits. Enjoy an exciting and inclusive team environment of movement artists who share a common goal of strengthening the dance field by investing deeply in artists and centering those who have been systemically excluded from such opportunities.
About the Role:
Reporting to our Executive Director, the Communications Manager is responsible for creating and
enacting comprehensive, programmatic, and institutional marketing plans for all of Dance Place’s
programs in the theater, school, and community outreach areas on a year-round basis. The
Communications Manager will also embrace our passion to enrich the field of dance locally, nationally, and internationally by building a community of artists, audiences, and students through high-quality performances, commissions, training, and educational programs. At a minimum, the Communications Manager will be responsible for successfully carrying out the following duties:
• Lead and execute all aspects of printed and electronic marketing efforts, including direct mail, email
newsletters, website content management, audio/visual, advertising initiatives, and social media.
• Serve as a department liaison at interdepartmental meetings and project-based task forces.
• Supervise two positions: the Digital Media Associate and the Communications Assistant.
• Design, implement, and execute tactical plans and content for web, digital, and print advertising;
social media; email communications; and event materials for all Dance Place programs.
• Incorporate brand messaging into multi-platform campaigns to raise brand profile.
• Maintain brand guidelines across all organizational materials.
• Apply evolving marketing and communications principles, theories, and concepts consistently, and
strive for progress and growth.
• Provide writing, proofreading, edit-routing, and other assistance for all communications, including e-newsletters, web copy, printed and digital playbills, donor engagements, and social media.
• Create or update the website, design templates, and other communications assets for programmatic marketing pieces.
• Play a lead role in establishing and managing Dance Place’s robust archives enacting archival-based campaigns and marketing initiatives.
• Assist in developing and managing the marketing budget, including monitoring and reporting on expenditures on an ongoing basis; forecast and report on potential budgetary needs, savings, or overruns; process departmental invoices; and maintain internal accounting records.
• Participate actively in departmental and cross-departmental discussions and project teams, contributing creative ideas and approaches to new and ongoing projects and programs.
• Collaborate with department staff to monitor and enhance all departmental initiatives and operations for adherence to principles and best practices of diversity, equity, inclusion, and access.
• Drive ideas and collaboration in helping to reach Dance Place’s annual earned and contributed revenue goals.
• Handle multiple priorities, and collaborate with staff, outside vendors, consultants, community partners, advertisers, and patrons.
About the Successful Candidate (Required Qualifications):
To be maximally successful in this role, you must meet the following qualifications:
• Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, or a related field
• Minimum of three years of experience in communications or marketing, with a solid understanding
of current trends in digital media and social media
• Hands-on experience using Adobe Creative Suite or similar design and editing software
• Keen attention to detail with a focus on producing high-quality work products
• Strong collaboration skills to work seamlessly across all departmental groups
• Exceptional project management skills to meet scheduling timelines and budgetary limits
• Ability to climb, bend, stretch, lift, and carry up to 50 lbs.
• Adherence to Dance Place’s COVID-19 vaccination policy requirements
• Ability to complete a pre-employment background check successfully
Other highly desirable experience and skills include:
• Prior background in an arts nonprofit environment
• Highly attuned to the many options for connecting with the world in the current media environment
• Ability to regularly demonstrate strong self-motivation, strategic thinking, and the ability to work
The Communications Manager is eligible to participate in Dance Place’s benefits plan, including:
• Health care coverage
• Self-managed mental health and medical leave program
• Paid time off, including paid holidays
• 401(k) savings plan with employer match
• Pre-tax travel benefits
• Free dance classes
• Free admission to Dance Place performances
How to Apply:
To apply for this position, please go to the following link on our recruiter’s job board:
Heralded as the “hub of dance activity in Washington, DC”, Dance Place is located in the Brookland neighborhood at 3225 8th Street NE, Washington, DC 20017, a short walk from Brookland/CAU Metro Station on the Red Line. To visit our complex’s location, please see the available transportation and parking information. We are an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourage qualified applicants from underrepresented communities to apply. We empower people of all identities including artists, adult dance class students, audience members, and the youth of our robust education programs—to realize their artistic visions through the art of dance. We believe that people of color, people in the LGBTQ+ community, people with disabilities, and women must be centered in the work we do. Hence, we strongly encourage people with these identities or members of other marginalized communities to apply to our openings. For more information on our great organization, please visit our site at http://www.danceplace.org
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org