The Director of External Relations proactively creates the identity of Dance Place through traditional and new media channels. The Director oversees the writing and editing of grants, solicitations, programming reports, advertising, promotional materials, press releases, and all other external communications. Working with managers in marketing, fundraising, finances, and other senior staff, the Director of External Relations reviews public communications to ensure a consistent brand identity and message.
The Director of External Relations will be responsible for oversight of all fundraising & marketing activities for the organization including foundation, corporate, and individual giving as well as marketing and communications. The Director of External Relations will oversee a team of five, including the Individual Giving Manager, Grants Manager, Marketing Associate, Communications Associate, Box Office & Volunteer Manager as well as seasonal interns and independent contractors. They will also work closely with the Financial Director and Board of Directors to monitor Dance Place’s financial health and long-range financial planning.
- Work closely with the Executive Artistic Director to develop and grow the organization’s overall fundraising plan and communications strategy in support of the organization’s mission
- Manage team of marketing and development staff consisting of full and part time staff as well as interns and independent contractors
- Design and evaluate marketing strategies for all Dance Place programs
- Oversee Grant Manager who writes and reports on all grant applications, including foundation, corporate, and government
- Collaborate with Individual Giving Manager on solicitations calendar, special event planning and execution, and board of directors management
- Assist Executive Artistic Director and Financial Director in budgeting contributed revenue for the organization, as well as the audit process, projections, reserves, cash flow and other procedures as necessary
- Contribute to budgeting of contributed and earned revenue in partnership with key fundraising initiatives and relevant programmatic staff
- Supervise all aspects of Dance Place’s print and digital marketing efforts, including direct mail, email, website content management, and social networking
- Maintain and cultivate brand guidelines across all organizational materials
- Serve as a member of senior staff, contributing to discussions around strategic planning, fundraising initiatives, and yearly programming.
- Represent the organization at professional events and environments, as well as key community engagement gatherings.
Required Skills / Qualifications:
- 4 years minimum experience in professional fundraising and marketing preferred
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Experience in grants compliance and reporting
- Have knowledge and experience in fundraising techniques, including event planning, board management, major gift fundraising
- Ability to create compelling written and oral communications and to convey complex ideas through brief, simple materials
- Ability to balance multiple competing priorities, complex situations and meet tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Skill at establishing and cultivating strong relationships with peers across different levels of the organization, internally and externally
- Ability to identify and respond to issues / opportunities in a timely manner with a controlled demeanor
- Detail-oriented, self-starter with high initiative and a deep enthusiasm for the arts
- Ability to think creatively about new avenues for contributed and earned income, and institutional marketing
SALARY AND BENEFITS: Dance Place offers a flexible work schedule as well as medical, dental and vision insurance package, plus (401) K plan, and pre-tax travel benefits. Employees are able to take class and attend Dance Place performances for free. Salary commensurate with experience, $50-55k per year.
HOW TO APPLY: To apply, send cover letter, resume, writing and/or design sample, and two references to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.