Member since March 1, 2017
Adagio Ballet and Dance School, based in North Arlington, VA was founded in 2004 and has grown from a two studio school, to a vibrant organization with over 1,400 students and 20 teachers in a facility with 7 studios and a black box performance space.
Built on the belief that children and adults of all ages benefit from a dance education, we designed specific programs with different levels of commitment, expectations, and goals. All dancers have a place at our school where they may experience the joy of dance and maximize their potential for the art form. Whether aspiring for a career in the dance field or enjoying dance as an extracurricular activity, Adagio welcomes you.
Courses are offered in Ballet, Modern, Jazz, Tap, Lyrical and Hip Hop and the Ballet Program curriculum is based in the Vaganova Method. All programs follow a curriculum with weekly lesson plans, periodic exams, and progress reports.
2017 School Year Schedule and online registration available HERE
2017 Summer Camp Schedule and online registration available HERE
Adagio Ballet offers 3 core programs
- The Early Years Program (ages 2-6) a uniquely structured program designed to build the ballet fundamentals while incorporating the imagination, creativity, storytelling and music;
- The Intensive Program (ages 7-18, by invitation or audition)- through this rigorous program students train multiple times a week with an intense curriculum, perform 3 times per year, and are eligible to audition for the student company;
- The Youth Program (ages 6-18) the extra-curricular program where students dance 1 time a week in any dance style with 2 performance opportunities a year.
Additionally the school offers
- The Summer Program with options for students of all ages, skill, and availability with themed camps, weekly classes, and a Summer Intensive Program.
- The Adult Program with classes in Ballet, Ballroom, Contemporary, Tap, and Power-barre fitness.
- Birthday Parties, Seasonal Camps during Winter and Spring Breaks, & National Dance Week Events
The school produces the Nutcracker and Spring Concerts as well as events in the Black Box Theater. Our student company, Adagio Dance Company (ADC), made up of students in the Intensive Program, presents an annual showcase performance and performs in community festivals and events throughout the region. Year-round Adagio families have opportunities to enjoy live performance by professionals in the field and interactive programs for children of all ages with the goal to inspire creativity and curiosity while nurturing a love for the arts in our culturally diverse region.
The Adagio faculty are experienced professionals with careers as dancers and degrees as dance educators, many of whom continue to contribute to the dance field as choreographers and performers. Adagio invests in on-going professional development for the team to encourage innovation in our teaching methods while aligning our curriculum with the most current practices in education and childhood development.
To provide quality dance education in a nurturing environment for students of all ages and aspirations while engaging the community through performances and events.
Philosophy and Values
We emphasize the development of the whole child by:
- Nurturing confidence through self-achievement,
- Creativity through self-expression,
- Wellness through exercise
- Work ethic through discipline and perseverance
- Teamwork through collaboration for performance
We regularly enhance our curriculum, maintain small class sizes, employ professional and dedicated teachers, encourage a community of support and constantly invest back into our facility and programs.
- Provide quality dance education for all ages and aspirations through a structured curriculum aligned with the stages of childhood development
- Train the next generation of artists and professionals in the dance field through intensive training, performance opportunities, and exposure to professional performances and artists
- Encourage a community of support, appreciation for the arts, and empowerment of our youth through outreach, performance, and communities initiatives
- Cultivate artistic expression and community engagement through the student-based Adagio Dance Company
- Contribute to the advancement of dance education through innovation in the classroom, professional development, and partnerships with experts in fields focused on child well-being