George Mason University School of Dance invites applications for a full-time tenure track Assistant or Associate Professor in Dance, with the appointment to begin in Fall 2020. Candidates should have a record of highly distinguished performance, a body of choreographic work, and teaching experience in contemporary modern dance forms and dance composition. Collectively, the School of Dance faculty is committed to fostering an environment for students that is at once supportive and technically demanding. Selective auditions allow us to maintain a low student-to-faculty ratio which aligns with our student-centered strategy to offer conservatory training in a robust academic environment. Graduates of our program recognize the formidable realities of pursuing an artistic life, and possess the technical and collaborative skills to meet those challenges.
• Primary teaching responsibilities will be in the BFA program, which includes contemporary modern dance technique based on sound anatomical principals that complement the diverse aesthetics of four faculty, teaching in composition series, and possible instruction in somatic practices and/or improvisational skills;
• Other duties include: rehearsing repertory, choreographing for our majors, artistic direction of student concerts, and participating in faculty governance;
• In addition to teaching dance majors, our faculty are committed to audience development and expansion of the dance community through instruction of general education courses;
• This position has a 3:3 teaching load.
• Candidates must have a terminal degree in Dance by August 2020.
• A distinguished performance career;
• A body of choreographic work; and
• University teaching experience with dance majors.
• Experience teaching non-majors; and
• Experience directing student concerts.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
For full consideration, applicants must apply at https://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, CV, and a list of three professional references with contact information. For Full Consideration, Apply by: 01/31/2020