Job Description Community Education Director
Founded in 1976, Joy of Motion Dance Center is one of Washington’s leading dance education institutions, with four pillar programs:
- Dance Institute (DI) provides rigorous conservatory-style training programs to youth and adult students that are dedicated to dance;
- Community Dance School (CDS) provides dance classes and workshops for people at all ages and stages of development;
- Motion Exchange (ME) reflects Joy of Motion’s commitment to youth development in schools and communities throughout the greater Washington, D.C. area;
- Center Stage (CS) is Joy of Motion’s performance programming, including Studio to Stage, Resident Companies, commissioning programs, and presented performances.
With three studio locations in the DC area, Joy of Motion Dance Center seeks an experienced and dynamic dance education professional to lead and oversee the Community Dance School and Motion Exchange.
- In collaboration with program directors and the teaching faculty, plan, implement and supervise classes and workshops in the CDS.
- Establish and maintain a performance review process that provides teaching faculty with continuous direction and feedback.
- In partnership with other program directors, develop the teaching faculty, building a culture to steward their best work, creating a shared commitment to provide excellence in dance instruction.
- Oversee Motion Exchange programs, including the supervision of the School Programs Coordinator and Step Ahead project manager.
- Plan and maintain annual budget of the CDS to ensure prudent fiscal management.
- Clearly define, monitor and evaluate the CDS program, mapping curriculum goals and outcomes, reviewing progress and reporting on the success of the program.
- Develop communication systems with students, parents and other stakeholders to deepen their relationship to Joy of Motion and provide accurate, ongoing information about each student’s progress.
- Other duties as required.
- Minimum five years’ experience as a recognized leader in dance education.
- Bachelor’s degree in Dance required; Master’s degree in Dance Education preferred.
- Comprehensive understanding of the sophisticated management needs of a broadly designed community dance school, which includes multiple styles serving a diverse student body.
- Established track record in recruiting, hiring, supervising and coaching teachers and staff.
- Proven success in collaborative work with a team of highly skilled professionals.
- Prior experience working with MindBody, PatronManager, Google Drive, and Microsoft Office software is preferred.
- Complete understanding of financial issues in managing community-based dance education programs.
- Strong knowledge of the dance industry and dance education in the United States, with a working knowledge of the National Dance Education Standards.
- Reports to: Executive Director
- Employment Status: Full Time Exempt
- Compensation: Salary commensurate with experience. Generous benefit package.
- Target Start Date: February 15, 2018
Send resume and cover letter with salary requirements to:
Steve Barberio, Executive Director Joy of Motion Dance Center
1638 R Street NW, Suite 300 Washington, DC 20009