Business Administrator wanted at Kalanidhi Dance
6816 Bradley Blvd.
Bethesda MD 20817
Kalanidhi Dance is a nationally recognized Indian classical dance school and company committed to the preservation, promotion and education of Kuchipudi – one of India’s eight classical dance forms. A nonprofit organization founded in 1991, Kalanidhi’s mission is to inspire appreciation for Kuchipudi to diverse audiences through artistic excellence, creative performances, high quality educational programs, and innovative collaborations.
We seek an experienced, enthusiastic, and self-motivated business administrator to play a pivotal role in managing, professionalizing, and expanding the activities of our dynamic and vibrant Indian classical dance organization. This is a part-time, contractor position, with full-time potential. The business administrator will help shape Kalanidhi’s future by providing critical support during a time of significant organizational and artistic growth. The business administrator will report directly to the artistic director, but will also work closely with the school manager and the development officer. Duties include, but are not limited to:
● Working with the accountant and artistic director to ensure that the financial accounts of the organization are up-to-date in Quickbooks.
● Establishing and maintaining a new contact database to integrate fundraising, box office, and marketing activities.
● Supporting the artistic director with rehearsal schedules and studio management.
● Coordinating and managing all Kalanidhi Dance Company travel logistics.
● Managing venue bookings and working with venue production staff on production logistics.
● Managing all performance logistics including load-ins, event set-up and strike, front of house, volunteers, ticket sales, etc.
● Supporting artistic director in cultivating relationships with community groups, businesses, and individuals to expand size of performance audiences.
● Assisting school manager with school registration, schedules, fee collection, and communication as needed.
● Managing a comprehensive grants calendar.
● Supporting development officer in occasional proposal writing and grant reporting.
● Maintaining accurate donor records in the contact database and assisting with donor identification as needed.
● Supporting the artistic director and board of directors in organizing patron events.
● Supporting the development officer with social media content and management.
● Managing e-mail newsletter schedule and coordinating with development officer for content.
● Coordinating digital and print material schedules with graphic and web designers.
● Assisting development officer with cultivating relationships with media and publicizing events.
● Promoting productions through postcard/flyer distribution.
● Bachelor’s degree (or higher) in arts administration, or minimum 2 years of relevant work experience in the arts/culture/philanthropic sector.
● Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
● Proficient at MS Office and Google applications (Word, Excel, Outlook, Google Drive, etc).
● Basic bookkeeping and record keeping (knowledge of QuickBooks accounting software a plus).
● Strong computer skills, internet savvy, and social media experience .
● Self-motivated, highly organized with an attention to detail, accuracy, and sound time-management.
● Able to work well in a growing environment, handle multiple assignments and meet deadlines.
● Ability to thrive in an independent work setting as well as on a team.
● Passion for the performing arts and Kalanidhi’s mission; knowledge of Indian classical dance or the classical Indian arts a plus.
● Experience with fundraising and grant writing and content relationship management systems preferred.
Salary commensurate with experience.
How to Apply:
Please submit your resumé, cover letter with salary requirements, and two writing samples via e-mail to: