Director of Finance position at Joy of Motion Dance Center
Please send resume, list of at least three references, and a cover letter explaining your interest in this particular job (no “to whom it may concern” form letters please) to Executive Director, Laura Sawyer at lsawyer. Applications which do not include salary history will not be considered. No submissions via snail mail, no phone calls, no recruiters. Email only.
Joy of Motion Dance Center
MAIN OFFICE at WeWork Dupont
1875 Connecticut Ave NW
Washington, DC 20009
Direct Reporting Relationships:
Individual reports to Joy of Motion Dance Center’s (JOMDC) Executive Director. Individual does not directly supervise any full-time staff but does manage relationships with numerous vendors including an off-site bookkeeper who inputs the biweekly payroll for our 100+ faculty, as well as the possibility of utilizing and supervising one or two intern/workstudy relationships.
Works closely with: Executive Director, Managing Director, Director of Development, Director of Community Engagement, Director of Studio Services Organizational
Summary: Hailed “the area’s most comprehensive dance institution” by The Washington Post, Joy of Motion Dance Center (JOMDC), a 501(c)3 nonprofit arts institution, is dedicated to providing unparalleled learning and performance opportunities that reinforce the principle that Dance is for Everyone. Since our founding in 1976, we have earned a reputation for excellence in dance education, diversity and innovation in programming, and community service. We have been honored with the Mayor’s Art Award for Excellence in Service to the Arts and the Mayor’s Art Award for Outstanding Contribution to Arts Education, and have performed at the White House. Thousands of children and adults participate each year in dance classes, workshops, festivals, and performances at our four studio locations across three Wards of the District and in Bethesda, Maryland. The broad spectrum of dance that JOMDC offers to all ages, abilities, and levels falls into five major categories: Adult Dance Education; Youth Dance Education; Resident Companies and Resident Professional Arts Partners; Dance Production; and Project Motion Community Outreach.
Job Summary/Essential Duties:
The Director of Finance is a financial leader in the organization and is responsible for business operations for Joy of Motion Dance Center, Inc. The position is the accountant for the organization and manages relationships with banks, lawyers, IT provider, insurance providers, and landlords. The Business Manager also manages the payroll and human resources function (with assistance/advice from pro bono experts in the field when needed).
– Accomplish monthly close and annual preparation for external audit.
– Manage annual budget process, generate and review monthly budget to actual reports and monthly sales reports.
– Prepare monthly financial reports for the Board of Directors and participate on Finance Committee calls (one per month). Attend Board meetings (every two months)
– Advise Executive Director on financial matters that impact the organization and work to continually improve the financial aspects of the organization
– Provide assistance on ad hoc financial review projects undertaken by Treasurer or other board members
– Maintain the general ledger, posting weekly AP, AR and bi-weekly payroll transactions for 15-20 staff
– Manage organizational cash flow.
– Maintain the organization’s insurance, conduct annual coverage review and ensure renewal and bid for coverage when necessary.
– Manage vendor relationships, including offsite bookkeeper who inputs faculty payroll.
– Supervise external IT provider, coordinate services to keep costs reasonable.
– Maintain and update personnel policies. Ensure supervisors’ enforcement of personnel policies including hiring practices, performance reviews, time tracking, and exit interviews. Manage onboarding and firing procedures, including management of passwords and email account assignments.
– Make an in-person appearance at each of our three DC area studios to deliver faculty paychecks/collect bills/invoices once every two weeks
Qualified applicants will have at least five (5) years of professional experience with at least three (3) years working in general accounting with business management experience. Advanced proficiency in Quickbooks Online required. Experience in a nonprofit arts organization and an interest in the arts and/or community outreach is preferred. The incumbent will have the ability to synthesize a complex organization into its key elements and have an excellent ability to prioritize. S/he will have the ability to take a leadership role on projects while remaining a strong team player. He/she must be an excellent written and verbal communicator to varying audiences (Board of Directors, 17 staff, 100+ faculty), with the ability to distill complex information into easy-to-digest segments for the Board and staff. The successful candidate will have the following experience and attributes:
– A Bachelor’s degree (required)
– Excellent people skills with experience in collaborating within a multidisciplinary, diverse and dynamic team.
– Demonstrated experience in managing a general ledger and maintaining business relationships.
– Experience should include exposure to insurance, legal, audit, budgeting issues.
– Ability to interpret and understand technological requirements and manage IT service providers.
– Excellent time management and organizational skills.
– Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
Position-Specific Mandatory Competencies (based on the Lominger Competency Model):
Technical Learning, Timely Decision Making, Time Management, Written Communication, Patience, Standing Alone, Organization
Work Environment: Ability to work in a fast paced, dynamic environment with many variables and a wide range of personalities.
Free Dance Classes, Health and Dental Insurance, Retirement Benefits, Paid Leave, Flexible Work Environment
Salary: mid-60s to low 70s
Please send resume, list of at least three references, and a cover letter explaining your interest in this particular job (no “to whom it may concern” form letters please) to Executive Director, Laura Sawyer at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications which do not include salary history will not be considered. No submissions via snail mail, no phone calls, no recruiters. Email only.