Pull out your goggles and swim cap*, DC’s performance art explosion is taking it to the pool for SynchroSwim 2015, WPA’s synchronized swimming performance art competition! Typically, synchronized swimming demands advanced water skills and requires great strength, endurance, flexibility, grace, artistry, and precise timing, as well as exceptional breath control. At WPA’s SynchroSwim, you’ll just need creativity and enthusiasm. Past performances have included a biting critique of BP’s role in the Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill, a battle between pollution and Captain Planet’s Planeteers, a patriotic excerpt from Fluid Movement’s Star Spangled Swimmer, and even a performance by a real live Synchronized Swimming team.
*Goggles and swim cap not actually required to participate in SynchroSwim 2015
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: July 19, 2015
DATE: August 15, 2015
LOCATION: Capitol Skyline Hotel Pool, 10 I (Eye) Street SW, Washington, DC 20024
You do not need to be a current WPA member to participate
Submissions will only be accepted online via our online submission form.
• Each team should include between 2 and 10 participants and will perform 1 routine
• Performances should last 2-4 minutes and be set to music, which must be supplied to WPA no later than July 31.
• Performances do not have to include traditional swimming or synchronized swimming, but they must take place – either partially or entirely – in the pool.
• Creative costuming is highly recommended.
• All participants must wear some form of appropriate attire (the pool is a family-friendly venue) and must wear an appropriate safety flotation device if they can’t swim.
• Each performer will be required to sign a waiver. The waiver will be supplied to participants with their acceptance email.
Selected participants should plan to arrive at the pool NO LATER THAN 4:00pm on Saturday, August 15 to check in. A panel of experts will judge performances with prizes awarded in three categories: best performance, best visual spectacle, and crowd favorite. You do not need to be a WPA member to apply.
Team captains should submit the following information through the online application form here:
• Team captain name and contact information
• Team name
• Title of the song to accompany the performance
• Brief description of the performance (250 words or less)
• Names of additional team members
Questions can be directed to Samantha May email@example.com or 202.234.7103 x1
• July 19: Deadline for submissions
• July 22: Notifications sent to artists
• July 31: Performance music sent to WPA
• July 22 – August 14: Selected teams allowed to schedule practice pool time. Teams must email Samantha May 5 days prior to anticipated practice
• August 15: SynchroSwim 2015