BALLET INSTRUCTOR OPENING
THE WASHINGTON BALLET @ THEARC (TWB@THEARC)
Job Title: Ballet Instructor
Location: The Washington Ballet – TWB@THEARC campus, Washington, DC
Reports to: Director of The Washington Ballet @ THEARC
The Washington Ballet (TWB) seeks a Ballet Instructor for programs and classes at it southeast Washington, DC location, The Washington Ballet @ THEARC (TWB@THEARC). TWB@THEARC is the headquarters of TWB’s education department and the Southeast Campus of The Washington School of Ballet. This full-time faculty position will be assigned to teach ballet at The Washington School of Ballet (SE campus) and in the DanceDC program, an Education and Outreach Program of TWB.
The candidate will possess 3 to 5 years teaching experience in ballet to children of varying levels in a conservatory and outreach setting. The candidate must possess and demonstrate classical ballet knowledge, a willingness to embrace The Washington School of Ballet’s curriculum and demonstrate proficiency in choreography. The candidate will have an understanding of practical forms of dance education including arts experience and arts integration which are essential to the company’s educational mission.
Successful candidates will lead classes and instruct students in ballet at The Washington School of Ballet and in public school settings through the DanceDC program. Collaboration with students, parents, and school and company administration is required. The candidate’s knowledge of community engagement training is a plus. Previous experience in the non-profit sector is preferred. Additional duties include preparing and rehearsing dance routines for a variety of school and community performances.
· Lead and instruct students of ballet and creative movement classes at partnered DanceDC schools and The Washington School of Ballet at SE campus
· Prepare dance routines for class groups for student showcases, including the Annual Spring Showcase, Annual Spring Performance and other unique activities
· Assist with dance rehearsals of The Washington Ballet productions that include children of the School, such as The Nutcracker, Alice (in Wonderland), etc.
· Create lesson plans that relate to the educational and artistic goals of the outreach program
· Execute administrative duties assigned to faculty members including writing and completing student progress reports and semester-end student evaluations
· Collaborate with public school teachers at DanceDC schools to develop a cohesive dance curriculum and presentation plan, which combines academic subject learning and dance movement methodology
· Coordinate and guide a culminating presentation for DanceDC students at the conclusion of each session
· Administer, complete, and collect all necessary evaluation tools, surveys, and assessments from students, teachers and administrators at each outreach location
· Assist with other duties as assigned
· Strong interpersonal communication skills with children and adults
· Ability to control groups of students
· Ability to demonstrate musicality and work with company pianists
· Ability to motivate others
· Understanding and ability to carry out health and safety measures
· Patience and tenacity
· Ability to work with all ages
Bachelor’s degree in dance or dance education with ballet teaching, choreography experience required. 5 years professional dance teaching experience may substitute for degree requirement.
The successful candidates must have both classical training and contemporary sensibilities with an appreciation for dance as a total art form. Teaching experience is required, preferably in a nationally recognized conservatory school and/or outreach setting. Reliable transportation is required. Demonstrated experience in a team environment is desirable. Professional dance performance experience is preferred. Preference is given to candidates with work experience in an urban community setting, those with an adaptable attitude, and those who demonstrate cultural sensitivity, social competencies.
TWB is committed to providing a safe and production learning community. To achieve that goal, TWB conducts background screening for all final candidates being considered for employment. Background check may include, but are not limited to, criminal history, national sex offender search and motor vehicle history.
Salary: Commensurate with experience.
To apply for a listed position, interested candidates should send the following items:
1. Cover letter (complete with salary history)
2. Current resume
3. List of professional references
4. TWB Employment Application (click here to complete this fillable application, print and sign it)
Return the above items via email to resumes or by post mail to The Washington Ballet, Attention: Resumes, 3515 Wisconsin Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20016. NO PHONE CALLS or ALTERNATE EMAILS PLEASE.
The Washington Ballet is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is the policy of The Washington Ballet to employ individuals without regard to gender, race, age, religion, color, national origin, sexual orientation, disability or any other factor made unlawful under applicable fair employment laws.